Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year and Prayers for a New Kidney


 

     Many friends have asked me to write a blog about my experience while going through the process of a kidney transplant. Several people have inquired into why I have kidney problems. I really wish I knew what happened in 1988 while in child labor or soon after Ashley was born. Unfortunately, we will never know the answers, and it is actually something I have not dwelt on for the past 25 years. I have looked at the circumstance as an opportunity to thank God for a second chance at life, because I was very close to death.   


     I was 24 years old and the pregnancy was uneventful with no concerns or complications. An ultrasound was not performed, and we did not even know the sex of Ashley until she was born.  The day I was discharged from the hospital, I started running a fever.  A few days later I went to see the obstetrician and  he prescribed an antibiotic.  By the time Ashley was eleven days old,  I was extremely ill.  Ronnie told me he was afraid I was going to die in our home and took me to the emergency room.  I was admitted to the hospital. I will always be eternally grateful to family and friends that prayed for Ronnie and me, as well as, took care of Ashley during the weeks I was in the hospital and when I returned home. Jackie and Sue Floars stand out as far as making a significant impact during those days. They took Ashley as a newborn to live in their home and kept her as if she was their own. Through the years, we have maintained a special relationship with the Floars family.


      During my time in the hospital, my family tells me how they stood over me several times waiting for me to take my last breath, because I was so ill.  I was swollen with 40 pounds of fluid and unable to move, see or even function.  Ronnie was spending his time praying that he would not be a widower with a newborn at the age of 25.  We had only been married 20 months when this happened.  After being at the hospital in Goldsboro for a week, I was taken to UNC Hospitals.  Within a couple days of being admitted, I was diagnosed with Acute Tubular Necrosis and Minimal Change Disease.  The tubes to the kidneys were blocked and caused complete renal failure, as well as, the urine spilled an excessive amount of protein.  With the assistance of dialysis and strong medications, I was able to gain kidney function again.  After about a year, my kidney function was almost 100 percent. 


      While hospitalized at UNC, I was assigned Dr. Ronald Falk as my physician.  I have been very fortunate to have him as my nephrologist all these years.  He became the Chief Nephrologist at UNC in 1993 and is known around the world for his expertise.  Over the years, my kidney function has continued to be monitored by Dr. Falk. 

      During the past 2 years, my kidney function has progressively decreased.  On June 14, 2013, I went to UNC for a kidney biopsy.  Blood work and an ultrasound were performed before I went into the operating room for the biopsy.  From the ultrasound, the doctor discovered my kidneys were extremely scarred and had deteriorated over the years.  The biopsy could not be performed.  I was diagnosed with Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis, which means the kidneys do not filter blood appropriately.    In July, Dr. Falk talked with me about the possibility of having a transplant and in October referred me to the transplant team.  The pre-transplant process is very involved and requires many medical tests/procedures. I have a couple more tests before completing this part of the process.  Once the tests are complete and I am evaluated by the transplant surgeons, I should receive approval for the transplant. 

     I appreciate everyone's prayers, love, kind words and concern as I go through this journey. I will continue to document my kidney transplant process on this blog. Happy New Year to you, and I wish you a phenomenal 2014!

6 comments:

  1. We love you Myra, I pray for you all the time. You are a dear friend who is more like family to me. Our kids love you and know you as Aunt Myra.....we pray for you here in the cottage as well as a huge family. You have 20 peeps here praying that God sends you just the right kidney.....Love you always my friend,
    sincerely Serving HIm,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. You, your family and the children are always faithful to pray for me. It means more than you will ever know. Tell all the kids I love them and to keep praying. Hope to give you all good news about a donor before too long. Love you!

      Delete
  2. I think you are amazing. I did not realize how far back this went. I do not post much on FB guess I'm old school but know that you and your family are always in my prayers. You have the best doctors', best attitude, and someone even better looking out for you ( the man upstairs. :) Take Care

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Terry for your kind words and prayers. It means so much. Can not even imagine to think how many years it has been since I have seen you. Very thankful to have FB to stay in touch. Take care and thanks again for such a caring message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an awesome job on your first post!! I am in awe of the strength and confidence you have shown since beginning the transplant process. You're amazing! You and the rest of the Jones clan remain in my prayers. This is going to be an incredible journey for all of us that love you. I'm here when you need me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you my dear friend for such kind comments. Going through this process is much easier with friends like you by my side. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete