Friday, January 3, 2014

First Offical Appointment at Transplant Clinic

     Today, Ronnie and I went for the first official appointment at the transplant clinic.  The appointment was with a transplant social worker.  We had met her previously at the Transplant Orientation Class in November and I had seen her at the Fundraiser Workshop a week later.  It was cool to find out that she grew up in  Goldsboro and graduated from Eastern Wayne HS. 
 
     The  appointment was for an hour with her asking us questions. Needless to say... it was  rather interesting!  At the end of the hour, she went over some information about the transplant.  The one thing that stood out from the information shared was that I will NOT be allowed to have visitors for the first four to six weeks after the transplant.  Only "care takers" will be allowed to spend time with me.  Looks like I will need lots of different care takers during that time (and learn how to Face Time  correctly since Ashley made fun of me last week on Facebook).
 
     Next, I went to have an echocardiogram (ultrasound of heart).  It was dark in the room and extremely quiet.  The test took about 30 minutes and I fell asleep!  Don't think the test is designed for patients to take a nap.  I am sure the poor fellow administering the test heard me snore!
 
     I have been very fortunate to have many friends state they want to be tested to determine if they are a match for donating their kidney to me.  It is overwhelming to know how blessed I am to have such great friends.  I am truly touched!
 
     My blood type is O Positive.  Dr. Falk states that my donor should have the same blood type.  If you are uncertain about your blood type, you can go to the American Red Cross and give blood in order to find out.  I was told by a AMR representative that individuals can contact them at 1-800-RED-CROSS about 5 days after donating and find out their blood type.  If you find out that you are O Positive or already know, you can call Amy Woodard, Transplant Nurse Coordinator at 919-966-3079.  She will send you a questionnaire to complete. Once you return the questionnaire and it is reviewed, you will then be contacted about coming in for further testing.    The tests include blood tests,  medical tests, a psychological test and meeting with a social worker. 
 
     Listed are locations, days and times American Red Cross is open in Cary, Raleigh and Goldsboro. 
 
Cary Office-919-468-8867
3700 Regency Parkway Suite 150
Cary, NC 27518       
Near Lifetime Fitness
 
Monday: 1:30 pm-6:30 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am-12:30 pm
Thursday: 1:30 pm-7:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am-12:30 pm
2nd & 4th Saturday: 7:30 am-1:00 pm
Or By Appointment
___________________________________________________________________________________
 
Raleigh Office- 919- 231-1602
100 N. Peartree Ln.
Raleigh, NC 27610
Off New Bern Avenue Near Wake Medical Center                     
 
Monday: 2:30 pm- 7:00 pm
Thursday:7:30 am- 12:30 pm
Or By Appointment
___________________________________________________________________________________,
 
Goldsboro Office- 919- 735-7201
600 N George St.
Goldsboro, NC 27530
 
Second Tuesday of Every Month:  1:30 pm- 6:30 pm
Blood Drives in the County Throughout Each Month, Contact Office for Dates and Locations
____________________________________________________________________________________
 
      Please contact me if you have any questions.  As you have read, the process is very detailed and time consuming.  Please pray I find a donor before needing to go on dialysis, become too ill to work or function day to day.
    
     Thanks again to everyone and especially those who are considering going through the donation process.

No comments:

Post a Comment