Thursday, January 9, 2014

Fifty and Fabulous News!

      Well, it is no secret that today is my 50th Birthday.  Received homemade cards from students and serenaded several times with renditions of the "Happy Birthday" song.  Cha, Cha, Cha! Walked into my classroom this morning greeted by birthday balloons and later treated with a chocolate chip cookie cake, gifts and cards from co-workers.  Truly blessed by such great co-workers and friends.  I also received an abundance of  texts, phone calls and Facebook messages today.  Tonight Kelsey and I are celebrating our birthdays with family at the The Peddler . 
 
     Ronnie and I met with Dr. Karin True for a little less than two hours this afternoon.  She was very professional, but yet personable. We really liked her. She began with asking MANY questions about my health and then began explaining the transplant process.  After she started explaining the transplant process I was feeling pretty overwhelmed and decided to tape our conversation with my phone.  Hope to take some time this weekend to listen to it and probably will a few times after that as well.  Felt like information overload!
 
     Extremely relieved to have the appointment behind me.  My blood pressure was extremely high during check-in with the nurse, but I am confident it was due to feeling stressed.  To sum up the appointment, Dr. True gave me great news!  She shared that Cross-Matching makes it very possible for me to receive a kidney from a donor of any blood type!  Knowing this information gives me more hope of finding a donor.  Dr. True said that anyone interested in donating should contact Amy Woodard, Transplant Nurse Coordinator at 919-966-3079 even if you don't know your blood type. (Also good news because you do NOT have to go to the American Red Cross to determine your blood type).  Basically, the transplant team will review information on the questionnaires completed by potential donors and choose who best meets the criteria for being my donor.  That person will complete blood tests, medical tests, a psychological test and meet with a social worker.  If you are truly interested in being a donor, please contact Amy Woodard.  Since I saw Dr. True today, the process of finding a donor can begin, but I still can not be placed on the transplant list until I see the surgeon.  That appointment is not until March 17, but in the meantime, WE CAN FIND A POTENTIAL DONOR.

    I also met Gwen, the transplant coordinator assigned to me.  She helps set up appointments and assists me through the pre- and post- transplant processes.  There are some tests Dr. True wants for me to have and I will wait to hear from Gwen as to when they are scheduled. 

   Thanks to so many of you for your encouraging words and well wishes.  Please continue to pray that I find a donor before the crucial time arrives for needing dialysis and/or becoming very ill.

 
 
 
,
 

 

2 comments:

  1. God is wonderfully, incredibly amazing far beyond our wildest imagination. My niece has gone through 2 different kidney transplants. Because of kidney stones many of my family members were not able to donate. Just when it seemed all hope was lost, God made it happen, not once but twice. His will and timing is perfect. You and your family are in our prayers. We love you crazy Jones! Love, Ben & Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben and Debra, thanks so much for your message. Prayers and encouraging words are greatly appreciated. Love your family too.

    ReplyDelete