Friday, February 13, 2015

Shock and Surprise Leads to a Thrilling Appointment

       Thanks to so many of you who have supported me with prayers, concerns and well wishes.  It means so much to know that I have the support of some of the greatest individuals. I am thrilled to share the news about the best nephrology appointment for me ever (and I have been going since the summer of 1988).  
         As I have shared before, I go to the lab Monday's prior to the Thursday clinic appointments with Dr. Falk.  I have been following this routine for many, many years.  Since last spring, UNC has employed an online chart in which appointments, lab results, bills, etc. are posted for patients to review.  This morning when I checked email, I had an email from my online chart.  Lab results from Monday were posted and reported my kidney function as 17%.  The number was a decrease from 20% in December, but I did not give it a lot of thought because it was not near the 10% I had been told last winter that I would need in order to have a  transplant.  
      I received some of the most exciting, unexpected news yesterday while seeing Dr. Falk at a clinic appointment.  Wish I could see a video or picture of my face when he told me ... I am ready to have the transplant.  As he was speaking with me, it was as if I was not really processing the words he was saying, because I was not expecting this news.  I am certain he thought I had lost my mind, because I kept asking him questions to clarify what he was telling me. I was told due to symptoms I am experiencing which include extreme fatigue, constant metal taste in mouth, lack of appetite, memory loss as well as some others, he says that it is best to proceed with a transplant.  I left the appointment on an emotional high.  
        My last blog post was about my friend, Valerie going through testing to determine if she is healthy enough to donate a kidney for me.  She has been told that the transplant team will present her case Monday, February 16 to determine if she will be approved as a donor.  Valerie's commitment and desire for my improved health continues to leave me in awe each day.  We have been friends for several years, but the bond we have developed over the past couple of months is immeasurable.  Please continue to pray that she will be approved and therefore we can proceed with the transplant.
          Appointments/tests have been scheduled for all day February 26 including an appointment with the transplant surgeon and March 11 to clear me from any other health issues and diseases.  Presently as it appears, once I have been cleared I will see the kidney transplant doctor and determine when the transplant will occur.
            There are no words to describe how I feel to know that I get to rediscover myself and feel better again.  I CAN NOT WAIT and know that GOD IS FAITHFUL!
         

4 comments:

  1. Way to go cry baby!! You made me cry!! Just kidding!! I'm very excited about this news and look forward to what God has for you and Valerie in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your love and support. So glad to have you as a friend and cheerleader through this phase of the journey. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoo! LOVE you and your good news! Can't wait for you to feel better, too! ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you too. Thanks for all you have done for me through this journey. Gonna have lots of fun days together when I am better.

    ReplyDelete