Wednesday, January 14, 2015

One Healthy Donor + One Grateful Recipient + One Concerned, Proud Mother + 11 Appointments = 2 Memorable Days at UNC Hospitals

2 Memorable Days at UNC Hospitals: For the past two days, my potential donor Valerie, her mother Wanda and I have been at UNC Hospitals as Valerie was evaluated to determine if she would be healthy kidney donor for me.  For me, it has been two of the most memorable, touching days in my life.  

One Healthy Donor: Let me begin by saying that Valerie is incredible.  She has been so calm and appeared un-alarmed as each doctor went over the risks that go along with having a transplant.  Even though statistically the risks are low, she will be having elective surgery and there are risks anytime someone has surgery. She asked relevant questions but never once said she was worried about ANYTHING.  As the doctors described how she would have less kidney function after surgery, she readily listened and never demonstrated doubt about wanting to donate. I have been so impressed with how calm and at "peace" she appears about the process.  

One Concerned, Proud Mother: Valerie's mother, Wanda went with us as well. Valerie is her only child, and she is concerned as hopefully any mother would be about their child donating a kidney (especially to someone who is not a family member).  It was great getting to know Wanda and develop a friendship with her as well. She was given the opportunity to asks the doctors questions and discuss any concerns she had as well. I am glad she went and that she feels a lot better about the process since listening to the doctors and spending time with me. She did a phenomenal job with raising Valerie to be such a wonderful daughter, wife, mother and friend.

11 Appointments:  Valerie had 11 appointments in two days!  We literally walked all over UNC, from appointments at the Cancer Hospital, Women's Hospital , Main Hospital and ACC Clinic. Where ever there was an open machine is where she had an appointment.  Thankfully, she has only one more appointment in two weeks. Valerie has been poked with needles (large and small), countless vials of blood drawn, scans and x-rays galore, completed numerous checklist, answered countless personal questions  and went with lack of food or coffee until mid day. Her only complaint was from lack of coffee.  I was absolutely amazed. At this point it appears that she is very healthy, but all tests results will be reviewed in early February and we should know results by the time I see Dr. Falk on February 12.  

One Grateful Recipient:  I can not honestly do justice and put in words how grateful I am to Valerie for what she has done for me thus far and plans to do as far as being a donor.  She called me a "cry baby" because I cried when she left the room and after the surgeon had finished talking with us.  This process is truly overwhelming and Valerie is the answer to my prayers for a future healthy life. Looking forward to what the future hold and hope to report in the next month she is an approved donor.

1 comment:

  1. As intense as it was we did have some fun!! We laughed, we cried, we people watched and we bonded. I'm so excited about what God is doing!!💕 Thankful to be s small part of this amazing journey!!

    ReplyDelete