Monday, February 16, 2015

Answer to Prayers

        In October, 2013 I was told that I was going to need a kidney transplant and that it was VERY IMPORTANT to find a donor.  Dr. Falk explained that finding a donor before needing the transplant would ensure not needing long term dialysis.  (In 1988 I was placed on dialysis after experiencing renal failure and  even though it was beneficial in regaining my health, I have not been able to erase the experience from my memory).  I began asking friends and family to pray about my health as well as finding a donor.  Every time I would go for an appointment with Dr. Falk, would ask me about the status of finding a donor.  I literally felt as if he was "in my face" about this. As a matter of fact, one day when I was feeling discouraged about finding a donor and it also happened to be a day my transplant nurse called me. I shared with her about the pressure from Dr. Falk about finding a donor.  She told me that he cares tremendously for his patients and did not want for me to go on dialysis.  I tried to put everything back in perspective and prayed daily that everything would work out in a timely manner.  
       On May 18 of last year, Valerie approached me about being a living donor and  immediately contacted UNC.  Due to other potential donors going through the process, Valerie was told that she was on the list and would be contacted if the others were not a match.  While others were being tested, she was an encouragement for me the entire time.  Well, October 29 Valerie was contacted about being tested and has been going through the process for the past three and a half months. When she called me this morning to tell me she had been approved, I felt as though I was living in a dream.  I was hearing words I had been waiting to hear for many, many months!   Hope to soon know when the surgery will occur. We are in the process of setting up a date.  
   Valerie is the answer to our prayers.  As I write this blog, I can not even put into words the gratitude I have for the selfless gift she is willing to give me.  I have cried a lot this evening being overwhelmed with joy about how blessed I am that God placed Valerie in my life.  I can not think of anyone any finer than Valerie to share this journey and be forever connected. 
    Thanks so everyone for your prayers, love, encouragement and support as Valerie has joined me on this journey. For the past few months I have prayed, "Not Myra's desire, but God's Will for my life." I honestly believe once I began to pray this prayer, God truly began to answer our prayers.  
        

4 comments: