Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Support and Encouragement Beyond Words

     Thanks to so many of you who have prayed for me and supported me as I go through this process. I have the best family and friends ever. Your support and encouragement is immeasurable.
     It has been just over three months since I last added a blog entry.  Last week, I went to UNC for kidney tests and my doctor's appointment. For many years, I have gone on the Monday before the doctor's appointment that Thursday for lab tests so that we know the results when I see Dr. Falk. Well, somehow, the lab lost the blood samples and had no record of it ever existing.  Needless to say I was very frustrated and disappointed, but the only option was to do the tests again. Thankfully UNC has an online chart and I received the results on Saturday. My kidney function remains stable at 20%.   With my kidney function remaining stable at this time, I am very fortunate to not need dialysis yet or need transplant surgery immediately without someone approved as a donor.  I continue to not feel well or have much energy, but thankful that my condition is not worse.
      Last week, while being examined by the doctor, I mentioned that my blood pressure readings had been very high. I have been on blood pressure medication since experiencing renal failure in 1988. The doctor decided to switch one of the medications I take for a new prescription.  Unfortunately, my blood pressure has remained very high which adds to me not feeling well and my lack of energy.  After contacting the doctor yesterday, he doubled the new medication and told me to go on bed rest. I am taking off three days this week with faith that the increase in medication and rest will help.  The support of my co-workers this week is beyond words, and I thank them so much.
     In January, a friend and I will go to UNC for testing to confirm she is a healthy transplant donor. Last month, compatibility blood tests were completed and the results confirmed that she is a compatible donor.  This was such exciting news, and she is as thrilled as I am.  My goal is to have a donor in place before needing dialysis and a transplant.  Please pray for my friend and I as she goes through this process. The emotions of this process can be very overwhelming.  
   I had a wonderful opportunity this weekend at church to meet Aaron Wilburn, a Christian comedian. Aaron had a kidney transplant in 2010. It was awesome to relate with someone who knows exactly how I feel. While talking with him, it was like having a conversation with myself. His encouragement for the future meant a lot and as I patiently wait, I know better days are ahead.
     I greatly appreciate all the amazing things you have done for me in 2014.  Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Blessed 2015.  
     
     
      

No comments:

Post a Comment