Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Excessive = Not Enough

      I am truly enjoying summer break.  It has been great to rest and attempt to organize some of the chaos in my home that I have neglected.  Still have a lot more to do, but I believe in the philosophy of something is better than nothing
      Last week I went for an appointment at the Nephrology Clinic with Dr. Falk.  I have been seeing him multiple times a year since 1988 and it was one of the most frustrating appointments I have ever experienced.  To make a long story short, someone ordered the lab reports for Dr. Falk and did not order the correct tests.  The results of the tests correctly ordered were very extreme  and Dr. Falk was convinced the results were incorrect.  I basically left the appointment not knowing anything and frustrated.  Dr. Falk ordered more tests and I now have results. 
      Thankfully this week I received a phone call explaining test results.  Due to the damage in my kidneys, my urine spills protein.  This has been occurring since I had renal failure in 1988. The amount of protein has increased quite a bit, and is the highest it has been in the last 25 years.  Because the urine is "spilling" so much protein, the albumin and protein in my blood is low.  It was explained to me that the protein in my blood is so low that it would appear that I am someone who is malnourished.   (You can certainly look at me and tell I am far from malnourished)!  Low protein in my blood is due to excessive protein in the urine.  At this time, I just need to make sure I am eating healthy and taking good care of myself.
      Despite excessive protein = not enough protein, my kidney function is stable.   I will see Dr. Falk again September 11.  I appreciate the support of wonderful friends and family for your love, concern and prayers for me.  The journey for a kidney transplant has been interesting to say the least and Dr. Falk says it will occur, just delayed as long as my kidney function is stable.  I know God's timing is always perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment